Wednesday 18 February 2015

Patagonia. To the End of the World - the trip starts now

At some point I'm going to have to start packing. I've checked in for the first leg of my flight to Madrid on Iberia, so I guess that means it's really happening.

My kit is at least laid out, I'm not quite that lastminute.dom, including the mandatory three pairs of underwear. As I calculated yesterday, I think that's at least two pairs short. We're told we can wash things during the trip - I do hope so or we'll be flying home without the use of aerodynamic lifting devices.

This time tomorrow I should be ready to get on the flight to Santiago, Chile. Only my second time south of the Equator, but now we'll head further south than ever, eventually reaching the End of the World in Ushuaia.

The wilds of Patagonia are said to be spectacular, so expect some nice pictures to be posted during the trip. Unlike last time, we should have wifi and GSM coverage during the evenings, so no slow satellite phone is required for this trip..... I hope! Perhaps I should have spoken to my good friends at Inmarsat or Globalstar and asked them to set me up with the gear. But it's all extra weight, and with at least five pairs of pants to carry I'm not sure I have room.

But packing must indeed start, so now away I must go.

:
Sent from the dusty road using my rusty BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment