Thursday 25 April 2024

Jordan Double Desert Marathon Challenge, Day 1

A race of two halves. Started out at a good pace of 5km/h which we kept up for a good while, but gradually it began to drop as the terrain became more sandy. Jeremie and Sara pushed ahead, but when we arrived at CP1 Sara was puking and the doctor decided it would be better for her to get a lift to the next check point. Keren had developed some hotspots that we taped. At CP2 we meet Sara again, but our pace had dropped by this stage to 4km/h. Keren decides to call it a day at just over the half marathon stage and she and Sara head back to the camp.

Let off the leash Jeremie and then decide to go a bit faster. Me in a fit of mistaken confidence set off at a pace running like I did in the MDS - but that was six years ago, and I hadn't trained to run this event. After 5km at a reasonable pace I hit the wall. The next 15km were very tough. Jeremie being more sensible, moderated his pace and over took me before CP3. At CP3 it was hard to get up to continue but I did after downing water and some snacks, but crucially I had no energy gels only slow release nut bars. I managed to reach the finish, but I was wrecked when I arrived and just laid on the mat hardly able to move, my shoulders were very tender. Even after a shower and a big dinner I was not feeling A1, my body battery having been at 5% for several hours. The night was ok, but disturbed by high flying aircraft and just the feeling of being exhausted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment