Monday 23 May 2016

Nepal, Day 10 - a day off in Pokara

A rest day, but although I should be sleeping, I'm awake at 6am and start to clickity-click on my BlackBerry keyboard, surfing the news and seeing if my blog uploaded correctly. It usually has as the 3G connection here has been very reliable - all credit to Nepal Telecom. The Iridium satellite phone I rented for this trip has been idle and unused. I brought it in case we visited remote areas out of cell-phone coverage, but apart from a few dead spots in the mountains, coverage has been excellent and often even more reliable than the hotel wifi.

We gradually coalesce for breakfast sometime after 8am and Graham has been cogitating on an idea about a future trip. We brainstorm and the idea develops further, with Iain providing valuable inspiration though his experience working with Adventure Ashram. Let's see what comes of it. Watch this space.

Some head into the old town, but it's getting hot, but especially humid, and I don't fancy getting an internal soaking. Besides, this is a rest day, so I rest and do my own investigations into a future low budget mini-trip. Perhaps it sounds apathetic, but I feel I've absorbed enough of the local culture for the moment.

I like Nepal, the people are friendly and I get a sense that it's more easy going than India; less busy and less stress - except for the Kathmandu traffic. Apart from the obvious poverty and the recent Earthquakes, it seems to have less problems than enormous India. It's also a country of huge geographical differences in a small space. From the hot and humid south, to the cool and high mountains in the north, including Everest. No wonder it has been so popular with tourists.

Apparently, there were some mishaps with the hotel laundry and whites have come back brown. That's not a problem I have with the room's built-in sink laundry. The only thing I have that's white was my dinner shirt yesterday, and I would not risk that being 'washed'.

Up early tomorrow for another exploratory ride. The road we're travelling on may not be on any maps, which kinda guarantees an interesting day. Looking forward to the unknown; or even the unknown unknowns.....

Sent from my trusty rusty BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment